Photo by Scott Pickering

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Legato Shaker Technique

During a recording session, I was using the Soft Shake from Latin Percussion (www.lpmusic.com/). I had been playing it in a conventional manner. The producer suddenly asked me to turn the shaker so that an end was toward me (as shown in the photo). Though slightly skeptical, I complied and immediately heard the difference. There was less attack in the sound and more length to each note. The length of this particular shaker is rather short so that you can control the rhythmic flow of the fill (beads) in this position. The “more legato” sound fit well in the song that we were recording and I continue to use this technique when appropriate.

3 comments:

  1. How do you find the LP soft shake compare to the Meinl Luis Conte Shakers? http://www.amazon.com/Meinl-Percussion-SH4BK-Artist-Series/dp/B0007Y5OLO

    They have become my go to shaker for 80% of stuff and my director even requests them for some songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I have checked those out a bit at the music store but I do not own them. In addition to the Soft Shake, the LP "Twist" shakers (Red, Blue, Yellow) are in my trap case. I really dig those especially the ability to combine with a "twist."

      Delete
  2. Thanks Mark for the much needed info.

    ReplyDelete