Photo by Scott Pickering

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

November Set Up of the Month: Chad Whiteley

Primarily a drum set player, Chad Whiteley is sometimes thrust into percussion-ville.   His hybrid concoction is the November Percussion For Worship set up of the month.  Here's some comments from Chad:

     These photos were taken during a series of Kairos services at Gateway Church (Dallas-Ft. Worth area).  We have many services to play over two days. During the prayer ministry times, we chose to play more of an acoustic worship set to make those moments more intimate. 
     I chose this set up because I could blend many more different sounds, feels, and emotions...more than available with just a drum kit or  percussion set up.
     My goal is to mix aspects of both drum set and percussion into one sound. The kick, snare, and cymbals are used to create the drum set feel of the music.   Cool (and live) beat loops can be created with the various tones (especially the lower timbres). Working without toms forces me to concentrate mainly on the fundamentals of the beat. I play with brushes, bundled dowel rods, felt mallets, and my hands.
     There are a few other considerations and ideas with this set up.  Sometimes, I play the shaker as my high hat rhythm.  Accentuating different places on the djembe creates depth and gives interest to the groove. I also take most of  the muffling out of the the kick, turn the felt side of the beater toward the head, and play very lightly.  This produces a more open sound rather then a short thud. The old marching bass drum adds another texture...different from the kick or the djembe. Congas round out the setup for some more variety.  I can blend basic conga beats in with my drum set patterns as well as using congas only for certain sections of songs.

Check out Chad's website: www.whiteleysolutions.com

No comments:

Post a Comment