Photo by Scott Pickering

Monday, August 8, 2011

Stuff That Lives In My Mallet Case

Timpani sticks might stay on a shelf until I get a "kettle call" and the general bass drum mallet only goes into my case when Gran Cassa is on the menu.  
There are some items that are used so frequently that they have made my mallet case their permanent residence.
Here is a baker's dozen of those occupants:
  • Concert snare sticks
  • Drumset sticks
  • Yarn marimba mallets (for suspended cymbal)
  • Brushes
  • Triangle beaters
  • Drum key
  • Pencil(s)
  • Glockenspiel mallets
  • Xylophone mallets
  • 1/2 inch wrench (for tuning congas, bongos, & timbales)
  • Staff paper
  • Notebook
  • Djembe tuning wrench
How about it?  What is always in your mallet case?

3 comments:

  1. You've got quite an extensive set of percussion mallets there. Since I only play a traditional set, I only have a few pairs of sticks and some brushes but I am thinking about getting a pair of concert snare sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started carrying two toolboxes a few years ago. One is full of spare parts -- cymbal felts, wing bolts, lugs, other miscellaneous items that seem handy when a gig could otherwise be torpedoed by their lack. The other is full of sticks, brushes, those combination stick/brush things, and various shakers. I have an old Mr. Potatohead that came with candy pellets in it. I emptied out the candy and filled it about two-thirds with BB's. I'm known in local circles as a master potatoheadist, and I'm often asked if I'm packing a potatohead. I guess the point is if you distinguish yourself (first by being a competent musician) somehow, people do remember you. Mr. Potatohead sounds pretty good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark: Peace. I AM a percussionist/drummer with several groups including the director of Miami World Percussion Group + a Sunday church gig. Check out http://7seals.blogspot.com - only the returned Christ & Albert Einstein reincarnated could produce that.

    ReplyDelete